Gatlinburg Attractions / Activities
The area around Gatlinburg offers many kinds of boating opportunities, from tubing down a crystal clear stream, to paddling on calm waters, to white water kayaking and rafting, to cruising on large lakes and rivers. Whichever you choose, it is imperative that you seek local information and scout your route prior to taking the plunge.
Use caution near and below dams. Large amounts of water may be discharged without warning at any time. Your safety depends on obeying all posted safety regulations and warnings. Learn more here.
- Douglas Lake. About 30 minutes from Gatlinburg, Douglas Lake offers you 30.400 acres, 555 miles for shoreline, Fishing. Picnic/Day Use, Fishing, Marina, Fuel, Cabins, Boat Rentals and Scenic Views are all within minutes of Douglas Dam. This scenic lake is located in the foothills of the Smokies and from many areas on the lake there are unobstructed views of the the Great Smoky Mountains. There are many coves, islands, and forks to explore and the shorelines feature many 100'+ sheer rock bluffs that plummet into the depths of the lake. The lake itself has over 1.5 million visitors per year and is located near the popular tourist spots of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Take Douglas Dam road off of Hwy-66 just north of Sevierville and follow to signs for dam and lake.
- Norris Lake / Clinch River. Fishing, Campsites with and without electric hookup, Showers, Restrooms, Drinking Water, Sanitary Dump Station, Picnic/day use, Launch Ramp (small fee may apply). Big Ridge State Park along the southern edge of the lake and Norris Dam State Park on the western end of the lake offer recreational activities. This lake is fairly narrow averaging about 3/4 of a mile in width with a few spots just over a mile to three miles wide. It is nestled in the Central Peninsula State Forest in a scenic portion of the state. It features numerous forks and branches and extends over 35 miles point to point, much farther in water miles with over 250 miles of shoreline and depths to 220 feet. Located Tennessee State Route 33 and 61 near Hickory Star. The tailwaters below the dam also offer trophy trout fishing year round. (Seek local advice regarding dam release schedules.)
Mountain Cove Marina - Located near Douglas Lake Dam in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains minutes from Dollywood, Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg you will discover beautiful Douglas Lake and the facilities of Mountain Cove Marina. Found within one quarter mile of Tennessee Valley Authority's "Douglas Dam", Mountain Cove Marina is a full service, year-round facility offering the following amenities:
- Ship Store with Fuel and Pump Out Services
- Seasonal Outdoor Cafe
- Launching Ramp and Parking
- Covered Slips with Power and Water Services
- Dry Storage
- Pontoon Boat Rentals
- Service Department
- RV Park
1590 Dyke Road, Sevierville, Tennessee 37876
The information provided in this section of our web site is believed to be factual, however, it has been provided by others and therefore, Jackson Mountain Homes, Inc. does not control and cannot guarantee the relevance, timeliness, or accuracy of the materials provided by other agencies or organizations. It is highly recommended that prior to relying on any information provided herein that the reader should verify the accuracy.
Back to Attractions / Activities Index